Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Typical



Our appointment with the neurologist was pretty typical... we waited an hour in the lobby and a little longer in the room when in walks a nurse practitioner who starts off the conversation by saying he is not qualified to talk about Maya's scans. We were a little disappointed.

He took her medical history and did a neuro exam which he said was pretty normal. She showed some weakness on the left side but he was amazed at how well she was doing. He wrote down our questions and said he would dictate them in the chart and Dr. T would call us.

I guess he saw the disappointment on our faces and when he asked what he could do, Kevin said, "I want to see the MRI. I want someone to show me and explain to me what happened that day and how much of her brain was effected." So... we have a new appointment on November 10th with Dr. T.

This has proved to be a pretty typical situation lately. It seems really hard to get the appointments we need and then the next available is often weeks away... Kevin made a comment in the car, "I can't imagine how hard this would be if she wasn't doing so well... what about those kids that have real emergencies?"

Maya was a doll the whole time... I guess waiting rooms and doctors is part of her thing right now. We see her surgeon Dr. Kup on Tuesday. This is pretty exciting because it will be our last appointment for a month! (not including physical therapy)

Overall, our life is getting back to normal. Maya went to school for a few hours by herself yesterday. We have spent a lot of time together and I knew it was going to be tough for her. I picked her up an hour early after Ms. Candy called me to tell me she was complaining of a headache. That miraculously disappeared when we got home :)

I have Gruene Market Days this weekend and I have been sewing so that I will have some stuff to sell. It's hard to believe its been a month already! Hopefully the weather will be nice and we will have a good turn-out.

If you are in the area, stop by and say hi!

No comments:

Post a Comment