Wednesday, October 6, 2010

My Cup Runneth Over


Today we headed to San Antonio for an early appointment with our cardiologist, Dr. Brownlee. Maya loves him, and I'm pretty sure he feels the same way :)

They did all the usual... pulse ox, blood pressure and EKG. Everything looked normal. After listening to heart and finishing the exam, he decided that we need to stay on some medicine for a little while. There is still some extra fluid in her body (result of her heart issues before surgery) and he wants to keep her blood pressure controlled until her heart fully heals from all the stitches... probably another 6 months. Then we headed over to the treatment room for an echo cardiogram.

Dr. Brownlee was very talkative while doing the echo which is always a good sign. Sometimes he gets this serious look and I know that he's trying to "see" something and its time to be quiet... but not today!!

I have a big sense of relief knowing that he feels like this was "the best possible outcome". When I asked if she will need a ring put in later on, he said he hoped not. For now the valve is working fine with minimal leakage and we will pray as her heart grows the valve will grow appropriately.

I have to say that at this point I am so thankful. Her little heart is healing and the rest of the problems we will overcome with time. There are so many parents out there who have children in the hospital and that is their way of life. There are some that have had to say goodbye to their precious babies and I can not imagine. We are lucky.

A wonderful lady passed away on Sunday. She gave her all in a fight against an ugly disease and the Lord called her home... she leaves behind a loving husband and three small children. I can not imagine what they must all be going through. She was a good friend, an amazing mother and the world was a better place with her in it. I don't always understand the plan, but I know that God has one. It is times like these that make you fall to your knees in thankful humility.

While waiting for the doctor yesterday, Maya asked me to read her a book. She grabbed one from the shelf and it was a storybook of Psalm 23. When got almost to the end I stopped and fought back tears... my cup runneth over. I am truly blessed.

The 23rd Psalm

The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
He leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul:
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name' sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: For thou art with me;
Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies;
Thou annointest my head with oil; My cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment