Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Words to Live By


Father's Day has been a little tough since my Dad passed away in 2003. His birthday is the 22nd of June, so it is usually a double whammy. I always end up buying Kevin one of those fun & playful cards from the kids, because it only takes a few of the sentimental ones to make me teary-eyed. I can't help but think of how much I miss my own Dad when I read them, and it's just too much to open those wounds again... a least for now.

Going through some of GG's things, I found his Bible. This was his rock, especially later in his life. As I examined the book, I found that familiar handwriting on a back page. My eyes welled as I read the things he said to me often...
  • Put God first.
  • Face sin and failure in your life.
  • Keep your heart clean and pure.
  • Guard your heart. Prov 4:23
  • Git rid of all the bitterness and unforgiveness.
  • Maintain your tongue.
  • Renew spiritual strength daily.
  • Live one day at a time.
  • Act on God's promises.
  • Let Him have your worries. IPeter 5:7
  • Let go of your past- Your sins are not only forgiven, they are forgotten.

As I flipped through the pages of his worn, leather Bible, I found a small photo album carrying the pictures of his baptism. I know that he was a Christian and loved God with all his heart- he was a faithful servant and when the Lord called him home I know he was ready.

I told him I loved him, hugged him goodbye, and got into the car. The next morning he was gone...
Dance recital, 1984
Field Day, 1st grade
Before Disneyland when I was four

No comments:

Post a Comment